My favorite recipe for this time of year is Elderberry Syrup, a centuries old, reliable recipe full of immune boosting properties! Elderberries are known to help lessen inflammation and stress and help protect your heart too. Ginger helps break down mucus, making it easier for your body to expel air. It also helps improve circulation to the lungs and reduces inflammation.
Elderberry Syrup Recipe
by Christina Sessums, MSW, ND, CNHP, CAHP, Baker
- 2/3 Cup Black Elderberries
- 3 1/2 Cups of water
- 1 Cup raw honey
- dried cloves
- whole fresh rosemary beat to open pores
- whole cinnamon sticks
- whole nutmeg
- whole allspice
- fresh ginger sliced and pounded
- turmeric sliced and pounded, double your water
- Add water to medium saucepan
- Add organic elderberries, Wolfberries, cloves, rosemary, cinnamon sticks, nutmeg, allspice, ginger and turmeric
- Bring to a boil
Cover and reduce heat
Let simmer about 45 minutes or until the liquid has reduced by about half
Remove from heat and let cool
- Mash the berries carefully using a spoon or other flat utensil
- Pour through a strainer into a glass jar
- Discard the elderberries
- Let the liquid cool to lukewarm
- 1 Cup of raw honey
- 2 drops of Essential Oils
NOTE: If liquid cooled too much to stir in honey, warm honey by placing in hot water and add warmed honey to the syrup. (DO NOT microwave)
Stir well. After mixed pour the syrup into a jar (I use brown cold brew glass jars)
Store in the fridge and take daily for immune boosting properties.
Have you seen the Elderberry Hot Cocoa Recipe? Yummy and good for you!
Want to know more about wonderful Elderberries?
Elderberry Health Benefits from WebMD
Some experts recommend elderberry to help prevent and ease cold and flu symptoms.
It’s also been used as a treatment for:
- Joint and muscle pain
- Infections that affect how you breathe
- Kidney problems
- Minor skin conditions
- HIV and AIDS